The Bay Area Council has been active in the global business arena for many years, primarily through its China Committee. Council-led delegations have traveled to China and India, and senior business and government leaders from overseas visit the Council on a regular basis as they look to build relationships in the region. The Economic Institute’s global reports are widely read in the Bay Area, nationally, and around the world. The Global Business and Investment Committee will build on this base to strengthen the Council’s voice on global issues and identify new opportunities for its members. The development of sub-groups within the broader membership to focus on specific geographies such as China, India, the Western Hemisphere and Europe will be encouraged. We welcome your leadership.
The Committee will offer a menu of opportunities to engage, including meetings with visiting business and government delegations and with trade and policy experts. Members’ input will help to inform the Council’s policy positions issues and Economic Institute reports and initiatives.
- Organize a series of private “Business Meets” discussions, occurring throughout the year, with Consuls General based in the region.
- Lead international delegations to expand global opportunities for the Bay Area by building meaningful relationships with foreign businesses and government officials.
- Organize business meetings as needed, Spring Festival Celebration, Pacific-Rim Conference, and APEC related events to build global connections and learn about international issues and their influence on Bay Area.
- Host visiting international business and government leaders.
- Support California-China Trade through hosting a California Pavilion at the China International Import Expo to showcase California brands at the world’s largest import-themed exhibition.
- Serve as a policy voice for the Bay Area on global business issues.
The Global Business and Investment Committee will engage Council members on key global issues and business opportunities. We encourage your participation and invite you to join here. For additional information please contact Sean Randolph (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Alex Foard (email@example.com) and check out our upcoming events.
As part of its global activity, the Council is leading a delegation to Brisbane and Sydney, Australia from April 7-14. The trip builds on a 2020 report by the Bay Area Council Economic Institute on Australia’s Bay Area connections and the opportunities they present. For more information on the trip, please contact Kirsten Vernon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking further ahead, San Francisco will host the APEC Leaders Summit in November, a gathering of 21 Asia-Pacific heads of state that will draw approximately 40,000 participants. The Council was instrumental in bringing this high-level forum -the largest international gathering in San Francisco since the founding of the United Nations – to the region, and will work with city, state and federal officials to build connections to the region’s business community. Committee members will be in on the ground floor. More information to come.