The Equal Pay Act to end wage discrimination passed over 50 years ago, and yet women in the United States still earn only 81 cents for every dollar men earn. Earnings for women of color are worse, with Black and Hispanic women earning 61 and 53 cents for every dollar white men earn, respectively.
The Gender, Diversity & Inclusion Committee has been working to develop recommendations and best-practices to further mobilize the business community. The Committee works with civic and political leaders to promote and enhance workplace cultures of equity, inclusion, and belonging through policy advocacy and education.
In these uncertain times, the Bay Area Council is committed to ensuring that D&I programs remain a priority and that the response to COVID-19 is as equitable as possible. Members of the group are aware that at times like these, minority groups are often disproportionately affected. The group will continue to use best practices to support, engage, and provide opportunities to diverse communities.
- Emphasize the importance of continued commitment to expanding diversity & inclusion practices in response to the impacts of COVID-19
- Highlight the strides that member companies are making toward a more equitable and inclusive culture in the Bay Area, especially actions during times of crisis.
- Grow the influence of the Gender, Diversity & Inclusion Committee by including the cross cutting universal business imperative in the Council’s other committee efforts other diversity and inclusion
- Convene the regional Chief Diversity Officer Peer-to-Peer working group and leverage lessons learned to inform the direction and priorities of the committee
- Benchmark metrics to create a base line for measuring improvements in pay equity, diversity in senior leadership, hiring and retention of diverse candidates that result in fostering a culture of inclusion and belonging amongst member companies
- Collaborate with organizations to inspire cultural and behavioral change at the executive level through annual work-plans and pledges
Our Latest Research
Gender, Diversity & Inclusion Committee: The committee meetings are open to all members. Please engage with us as we work to solve the region’s equity challenges. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org and check out our upcoming events.
Chief Diversity Officer Convening: Chief Diversity Officer Convenings are open to all Chief Diversity Officers, Chief Human Resource Officers, and other diversity leaders throughout the Bay Area. For more information on these meetings email email@example.com.
Peg McAllister, Lee Hecht Harrison
Stuart Newton, Deloitte
Christopher Ruhl, PwC