The Bay Area Council is a business-sponsored, public policy and advocacy organization for the nine-county Bay Area. It is a nonprofit organization supported by more than 325 member companies representing the top employers in the Bay Area. The Council proactively advocates for a strong economy, a vital business environment, and a better quality of life for everyone who lives in the Bay Area.
In a recent anonymous employee survey, colleagues said they like working at the Council because of:
- “The people, love that we are a noble cause organization, am so proud of the work we do, love our members, our ability to help the region. I really like the BAC culture, friendliness, humor and fun in the workplace.”
- “Being allowed to bring who I am as a person to my role and performance as a BAC employee.”
- “Challenges, latitude to innovate, ability to manage my time and goals fairly independently, great friends and team members.”
- “Many really smart people to work around all willing to do whatever is necessary to get things done.”
- “The BAC has an awesome mission, and an ability to rally together to achieve lofty goals. The staff feels like a family.”
We engage business and civic-minded leaders to solve the most challenging regional issues to ensure the Bay Area is the most innovative, sustainable, inclusive and globally competitive place in the world.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Staff Accountant will assist in maintaining the integrity of the financial accounting systems and record keeping for the Bay Area Council and related entities. The position oversees and works closely with the CFO to ensure detailed transactions including check handling, bank deposits, revenue billings and accounts payable invoices are input with a high degree of accuracy. The Staff Accountant’s most critical monthly functions will be working collaboratively with the CFO and various BAC Staff to ensure all monthly financial functions of the accounting operations are timely and accurate including the monthly financial close.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilizes Sage Intacct financial accounting system software and other integrated systems to maintain accurate accounting records of several separate 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 non-profit entities in full compliance with IRS and other regulatory requirements.
- Maintains account reconciliations to include general ledger accounts, subledger accounts, and salesforce database to ensure accuracy of financial transactions.
- Obtains revenue by verifying transaction information, identifying delinquent accounts, and payments.
- Traces individuals and companies for collection of membership, event, sponsorship and contractual payments. Prepares management reports identifying aged receivables for follow up.
- Verifies accounts by reconciling statements and transactions.
- Checks figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper account coding.
- Vendor management within AP system (Sage Intacct) including onboarding of new vendors, tracking of W9 submissions, and vendor payment setup.
- Processing of vendor invoices by verifying transaction information, scheduling and preparation of disbursements, and obtaining proper authorization for payment.
- Reconciliation of vendor accounts and statements, research and resolve payment issues timely.
- Preparation of annual 1099 reporting requirements.
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
- Classifies, records, and summarizes numerical and financial data in order to compile and keep accurate financial records, using journals and subsidiary ledgers.
- Maintain financial historical records.
- Performs other miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the CFO.
- Associates degree in Accounting or higher as well as a minimum of 2-3 years direct work experience.
- A thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal controls.
- Experience with non-profit accounting preferred but not required.
- A full understanding of financial statements.
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close.
- Strong background with both Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Hands-on experience with an ERP accounting software package; such as Sage Intacct, Netsuite, SAP, etc..
- High degree of professionalism in dealing with diverse groups of people, including board members, senior executives, elected officials, staff members, community leaders, donors and funded partners.
- Work well within teams – ability to build constructive working relationships with others and treat others with dignity and respect at all times.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to complete tasks and projects with little or no guidance.
- High attention to detail with strong analytical & problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and both web and cloud-based applications.
- Based in San Francisco Bay Area with ability to commute to the San Francisco Financial District.
- This position is an outstanding opportunity for a highly-motivated individual who desires a pivotal role in a highly-respected organization. The salary is competitive and will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance is 100% paid by the employer for the employee and 50% coverage for all dependents will be paid by the employer with the employee carrying the other 50%.
- Long-term disability, short-term disability and life insurance policy of up to one (1) times the employee’s annual salary.
- Paid time off (PTO) of 20 days per year for the first 4 years, then 25 days thereafter.
- Eleven (11) Paid Holidays.
- Employer sponsored 401(k) plan with an employer match of 12 percent.
- Mobile Phone reimbursement up to $55.00 per month.
- Wellness stipend of $25.00 per month (certain qualifications must be met).
- Commuter stipend or work from home stipend provided monthly.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter as one pdf e-mail attachment with your last name and “Staff Accountant” in the file name (i.e., SMITH_StaffAccountant) to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Bay Area Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender differences or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Answers to application questions will be used for applicable, job-related reasons only.