The Bay Area Council Scholarship Program supports students of exceptional ability from underserved neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Bay Area Council Scholarship Program supports students of exceptional ability from underserved neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area. Financial assistance and professional development resources are provided to high achieving students attending top Bay Area colleges.
Bay Area Council Scholars possess an intimate awareness of the challenges faced in less privileged communities, and they are passionate about making a positive impact in their communities.
The goal of this program is to identify promising youth and support them through a critical period of learning and growth, developing their potential to become the conscientious leaders and change-makers of tomorrow.
Awards are determined by the students' financial situations and the need expressed in their financial aid packages for college. These one-year undergraduate scholarship awards are given to high school seniors from underserved Bay Area neighborhoods entering Bay Area universities.
Thanks to a two-year, $100,000 grant from the College Access Foundation and a $50,000 financial commitment from the Bay Area Family of Funds, a total of $100,000 in financial assistance was granted to Bay Area Council Scholars for the the 2009 - 2010 school year.
In addition to continued financial aid (dependent upon outside contributions), ongoing support will also be offered to Bay Area Scholars beyond their freshman year in college. Thanks in part to a $15,000 grant from the Louis R. Lurie Foundation, the Bay Area Council Scholarship Program will continue to offer professional development resources including interview training, resume building workshops, career guidance and internship and externship opportunities.
This program was established by the Bay Area Family of Funds with an annual commitment to scholarship support. The Bay Area Council is committed to providing ongoing support to the scholars selected and is seeking additional funding to extend financial support to each class of Bay Area Council Scholars throughout their college careers.
• Current high school seniors who reside in underserved neighborhood within the nine-county Bay Area. These neighborhoods have been determined by census tract to be at 80% of Area Median Income or below. (www.ffiec.gov/Geocode/default.aspx).
• Only students who plan to enroll and attend a full-time undergraduate course of study as a freshman at a school located in the nine county Bay Area may apply.
• Participation in a scholarship interview to be scheduled in April or May 2010.
• Attendance at the Bay Area Council Scholarship Awards Reception, to be scheduled for May or June 2010.
• Financial need is considered in determining the amount of each award. Potential recipients who receive other large scholarships and do not demonstrate financial need will be ineligible.
Kristina Foster Schick
Bay Area Family of Funds | Bay Area Council
201 California Street, Suite 1450, San Francisco, CA 94111
Phone: 415.946.8717 | Fax: 415.981.6408
August 17, 2010